A finished project is always a thing of beauty, no?
We live in a 320sq ft studio, so maximizing space creatively is a must. Since this was going to hang in the girls' room, (aka, the closet,) I wanted it to reflect their bright personalities.
The inspiration for the rainbow stripes? The Ikea pillowcase you see in the photo below:
Lowes will let you get little sample jars of any of their paint for $2.99, so we hunted around until we found the perfect shade to match each stripe.
And then we marked out the stripes and we painted.
Cora and I worked together on this for days and days. We'd only do one or two stripes at a time and then wait until another day when Lyra was napping and the stars were perfectly aligned for more painting. I've now decided that Cora needs to see Karate Kid so she'll understand why I kept saying, "long strokes, up....down."
Lyra wanted to help but her best work was simply doing an impression of me holding a pencil or marker as I measured things.
I initially marked all the hose clamps so the tightener would be right in the center of each jar, but neither Eric nor I could drill a pilot hole directly through the metal. Maybe we are weaklings? Maybe we needed something other than a cobalt bit?
Instead we shifted the hole to the little gratings nearby. That meant that the hose clamps screwed shut off center, but I like the look and it got the project moving again.
Huge thanks to Eric for having delicious muscles and helping me with this part. Crafty projects are not normally his forte but he helped without a peep of protest. Gracias, amor.
Once I marked out where I wanted each jar, I drilled pilot holes in the wood as well. Super handy to have stripes on the wood (a reclaimed piece of wood that cost us zero dollars, score). The stripes made it easy to line everything up.
Helping husband for the win.
He also screwed the finished piece directly into the wood in the closet. It fit perfectly.
(Land projects are soooo easy to nail the first time.)
Almost all of these jars were hand-me-downs from friends. I made a Facebook post several weeks back asking if anyone had glass jars they didn't want and voilà, a conglomeration of pickle jars, jelly jars, and Mason jars for your viewing pleasure. Thank you, friends!
Because this is hanging in the girls' room, I had to make sure that the lower jars only held things that were safe for our little ones to have access to. Cora has been asking for a mirror so she can do her own hair. The lowest jar holds their hair brush and comb, and the left quadrant has a mirror from Ikea; color choice for the mirror was decided by, you guessed it, Miss Cora.
Up close the mirror is a little low for Cora, but when she stands back, it works. It's a little high for Lyra, but she'll get there. Both of the girls love the 'rainbow wood organizer.'
I'm calling this project a total win. It was something we all participated in, it was easy on the budget, and it added some visually gratifying storage.
More Mason jar cleverness to come!